Friday, June 28, 2013

My Favorite boxers

Are there things in life that serve as reminders for you? We keep pictures to remind us of good times, family and friends. Some of us have deer and fish mounts to remind us of a moment of "perfection" when everything went right. We have scars, both physical and emotional, that remind us of many things. Maybe it was a dare in grade school or a car accident in HS. Maybe a snowboarding lesson gone bad or a dream that didn't quite turn out how you hoped. To this day, some 16 years later, any time my knee hurts I thank God I am able to walk and for my health in general. It is hard sometimes to think of things I have wanted or even things I have had but now find myself without. Whether abilities, times in life, places, things or friends there seem to be many reminders around me. I have had a tendency to remove myself, to the best of my ability, from anything that reminds me of things or times I do not want to remember. Recently in life I have decided to try something different. Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. So I am doing my best as hard as it is to not go down the roads I have previously traveled in life. Here is one of the reminders I choose to embrace that in the past I would have discarded.
Yes that's right Batman boxers and yes I wear them regularly. I think for many people the symbol of a "superhero" is something to aspire to. Something that brings out the good in us and makes us want to be better as it does with me also. This pair of boxers has another purpose however. They serve as a reminder of what I am not. The truth is, though I have days in life where I may feel like I have managed some worthy accomplishment, all good things come from Christ alone and without Him there is nothing good. I am simply a sinner, saved by grace, whom God uses occasionally for his glory as He is able. More often than not I get in the way, tripping over my own hurts, pain, past, regrets and fears rather than embracing them and moving forward in what God has planned for me. So my batman boxers remind me of what I am not but also who I can be when Christ is living and working in me. Lord help me be ever available for whatever purpose you see fit at any time and in any place, always ready to "suit up" and give You all the glory for whatever good takes place.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jeff. So glad to see you writing once again.

    I had to smile when I saw the boxers as I buy Ron and the boys, now there are 5 of them!!! to buy for..new undies most holidays and I like to find the funny ones. Some like silk, others flannel :)

    ReplyDelete